Eight Students Qualify For State Oral Interp. Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ivy Zimmerman, Journalist

On November 19, the Gregory Oral Interp. Team went to regions held at the Ramkota River Center in Pierre. Reading storytelling, Christian Spann read “The Legend of Lightning Larry” placing second. Jaslee Kerner read a non-original oratory called “The Love of Learning” placing third. The reader’s theatre team consisting of Issac Barreto, Salma Serr, Tommy Determan, Grant Thomas, Megan Warnke, and BriLee Peck placed first with their piece “Channel Changers.” Placing in the top three, these eight students qualified for the state festival.

Rhoss Oliver competed in poetry, Barreto competed in humorous, and Keeley Klein competed in serious reading. They did not place in the top to move on to state. Reading storytelling, Christian Spann read “The Legend of Lightning Larry” placing second. Jaslee Kerner read a non-original oratory called “The Love of Learning” placing third.

This Friday, the State Oral Interp. Festival will be held at Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown. On Friday, reader’s theatre will perform at 9 a.m. that same evening. Storytelling will start at 6 p.m. at the Watertown High School. The next day, non-original oratory starts at 1:30 p.m. at the school again. We are very excited about taking eight students to the state Festival and hope to represent Gregory well,” Coach Ronda Graber said.