Three Elementary Students Take Home Spelling Bee Trophies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

Yesterday, two students from each class of the Gregory Elementary School traveled to Andes Central for the Missouri Valley Regional Spelling Bee. First-grade teacher Halee Hoffmann coached grades 1-3 and Title 1 Reading Teacher Jennifer Voigt coached grades 4-6. Three students placed at the contest. First grader Hadley Braun received 3rd place, and first grader Gracelyn Lanz won 1st place. Fifth grader Danielle Timanus received 3rd place.

The students were selected by taking an AIMS Web spelling test. A classroom spelling test was then conducted for a tie breaker if needed. First grade sent Hadley Braun and Gracelyn Lanz. Second grade sent Brynn Bearsheild and Abigail Holmes. Charissa Ring and Savanah Lozano represented the third grade class. For fourth graders, Gregory had Regan grasser and Max Bearshield. The fifth grade class sent Madisan Graber and Danielle Timanus. Representing the sixth grade class was Kaydence Eagle Star and Rane Kenzy.

The younger students prepared with after school practice, and the older students had study hall practices during school. To win the contest, each student would have to receive the highest combined score of a 35-word paper spelling test and an elimination oral test. Every year the travelling team trophy is presented to the school who had the most placers. This year was a tie between Platte/Geddes and Burke.

“Mrs. Hoffmann and I were both very proud of how the kids worked and it was a good day,” Mrs. Voigt said.