Lady Gorillas Win First Region Game but Lose to Jaguars in Second

Back to Article
Back to Article

Samantha Timanus, Journalism

On Monday, the girls’ basketball team won its first game of regions against Colome. In regular season, Gregory beat Colome 57 to 50. This time the Lady Gorillas won 58 to 47. In the first quarter, Gregory took a slight lead (9-8). By half time, the lead had grown slightly to 28-23. In the third quarter the lead dropped slightly and the score was 39-36. In the end, the Gorillas had 11 more points than Colome. Gregory made 21 of 63 (33%) of its field goals and 14 of 23 (61%) of its free throws. The Lady Gorillas took 31 rebounds, 11 assists, 15 steals, 18 turnovers, and 19 personal fouls throughout the game.

Jessy Jo VanDerWerff scored 23 points making 10 of 31 (32%) of her field goals and 1 of 2 (50%) of her free throws. Megan Warnke, who made 5 of 10 (50%) of her field goals and 1 of 33 (33%) of her free throws, scored 11 points. Making 3 of 9 (33%) of her field goals and 4 of 7 (57%) of her free throws (10 total points) was Sydney Svatos. Gracie Kenzy made 7 points. She made 1 of 3 (33%) of her field goals and 5 of 7 (71%) of her free throws.

Sydney Svatos had 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals. Megan Warnke grabbed 7 rebounds, 1 assist, and 4 steals. Brooklyn VanDerWerff had 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and one steal. Jessy Jo VanDerWerff took 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

For round two of the regions playoffs, to play Corsica/Stickney the next day. The girls did not win, making this the last game of their 2018-2019 season. The final score was 19 – 54. In the first quarter, Corsica had 13 points and Gregory had 4. All four points were made before the Jaguars had even made a single point, but after Corsica/Stickney made its first basket, its defense tightened, and Gregory was unable to score. Gregory did not make any points in the second quarter, but Corsica increased its score to 30. By the end of the third quarter, the score was 12 – 47. Both teams made 7 more points in the fourth quarter, leaving us with our final score.

The Lady Gorillas’ shooting average was 10% and free throw average was 54%. The girls had 25 rebounds, 3 assists, 6 steals, 1 block, 17 turnovers, and 8 personal fouls throughout the game.

Gracie Kenzy scored 4 points, making 1 of 4 (25%) of her field goals and 2 of 2 (100%) of her free throws. Jessy Jo VanDerWerff, Brynn Hylla, and Megan Warnke each scored 3 points. Sydney Svatos, Brooklyn VanDerWerff, and Emma Thomas each scored 2 points.

Sydney Svatos grabbed 6 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 steal. Megan Warnke took 5 rebounds during the game. Brooklyn VanDerWerff had 4 rebounds and one steal.

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

Hello, my name is Samantha Timanus, and I am a 16-year-old sophomore at Gregory High School. My parents are Anthony and Karen Timanus. I have four younger...

• Lady Gorillas Win First Region Game but Lose to Jaguars in Second

Athletics

WiLdKats Defeat Gorillas to End the Season

Athletics

Four B/G Wrestlers Place at State

Athletics

Gorillas Fall to Rapid City Christian but Defeat Avon

Athletics

Cavaliers defeat Gorillas

Athletics

Eight Prepare for State

Athletics

Storm Dominates in Dual

Athletics

Gorillas Fall to Raiders

Athletics

Lady Gorillas Crush Colome Cowgirls

Athletics

Lady Gorillas Defeat Jones County and Lose to Scotland

Athletics

Lady Gorillas Lose to Avon and Bridgewater/Emery