Lady Gorillas Lose to Avon and Bridgewater/Emery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

On Mon., Feb. 4, the girls’ basketball team played a home game against Avon and lost 63 – 42. In the first quarter, Avon scored 24 points and Gregory scored 13. By half time, the score was 19 (G) to 41 (A). After the third quarter, Avon had 57 points and Gregory had 31. In the end, the Lady Gorillas had 23 rebounds, 8 steals, 20 turnovers, and 12 personal fouls. The team collectively made 36% of their field goals and 43% of their free throws.

Jessy Jo VanDerWerff scored 13 points. She made 5 of 13 (38%) of her field goals and 2 of 5 (40%) of her free throws. Sydney Svatos made 3 of 10 (30%) of her field goals and 5 of 8 (63%) of her free throws for 12 points. Gracie Kenzy scored 6 points, making 2 of 2 (100%) of her field goals and 2 of 4 (50%) of her free throws.

Sydney Svatos had 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 steals. Jessy Jo VanDerWerff grabbed 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 1 steal. Gracie Kenzy had 4 rebounds. Megan Warnke took 3 rebounds and 2 steals.

“After a slow start in the first quarter, I thought we responded nicely in the second half. We outscored them in the second half, and if we could have played like that in the first half, it would have been a closer game,” Coach Myrmoe said.

On Sat., Feb. 2, the girls’ basketball team played in the Mitchell Corn Palace against Bridgewater/Emery and lost 57 to 78. In the first quarter, BW/E scored 20 points and Gregory scored 14. By half time, the score was 32 (G) to 43 (BW/E). After the third quarter, 49 (G) to 56 (BW/E). In the end, the Lady Gorillas had 35 rebounds, 10 steals, 20 turnovers, and 15 personal fouls. The team collectively made 38% of their field goals and 13% of their free throws.

Megan Warnke scored 16 points, making 8 of 16 (50%) of her field goals. Jessy Jo VanDerWerff scored 14 points. She made 6 of 16 (38%) of her field goals and 0 of 2 (0%) of her free throws. Brooklyn VanDerWerff made 4 of 11 (36%) of her field goals and 1 of 3 (33%) of her free throws for 9 points. Sydney Svatos made 3 of 10 (30%) of her field goals and 0 of 2 (0%) of her free throws for 8 points. Gracie Kenzy scored 6 points, making 3 of 8 (38%) of her field goals and 0 of 1 (0%) of her free throws.

Megan Warnke had a double double, making 16 points and 14 rebounds. She also had 2 assists and 4 steals. Sydney Svatos grabbed 6 rebounds, 1 assists, and 3 steals. Gracie Kenzy also had 6 rebounds. Jessy Jo VanDerWerff grabbed 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals. Brooklyn VanDerWerff scored 2 rebounds and 3 assists.

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

Hello, my name is Samantha Timanus, and I am a 16-year-old sophomore at Gregory High School. My parents are Anthony and Karen Timanus. I have four younger...

• Lady Gorillas Lose to Avon and Bridgewater/Emery

Athletics

Eight Prepare for State

Athletics

Storm Dominates in Dual

Athletics

Gorillas Fall to Raiders

Athletics

Lady Gorillas Crush Colome Cowgirls

Athletics

Lady Gorillas Defeat Jones County and Lose to Scotland

Athletics

Gorillas Defeat Highlanders but Lose to Coyotes

Athletics

Storm Wins Dual

Athletics

Gorillas Fall to Trojans and Huskies

Athletics

Gorillas Dominate Stanley County and Lose a Close One Against Parkston

Athletics

Storm Travels to Winner Invitational