Oral Interp. Performs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Oral Interp. Performs

Emma Thomas, Journalist

The Gregory High School’s local interpretation contest was on Oct. 22 at the Gregory High School. This year 28 contestants competed against each other to move on to districts. There were seven different categories: serious reading, humorous, oratory, poetry, storytelling, duets, and readers theatre.

The storytelling category had two competitors. Christian Spann and Nancy Khuu both received a superior on their pieces. Christian Spann told the story of “The Man in the Red Bandanna” and Nancy Khuu told the story of “Mulan.” Christian Spann was selected to move on to districts for this category.

Samantha Timanus was the only person to perform an oratory piece. Her piece was “The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination.” She received a superior and moved on to districts.

Keeley Klein, Anna Dargatz, and Gracie Kenzy all preformed a serious reading. Placing third, Anna Dargatz performed the piece “Ice Cream for Dinner” and received an excellent. Placing second, Gracie Kenzy performed the piece “Last Wish” and received a superior. Moving on to districts and placing first Keeley Klein performed the piece “Plain Girl Versus the Demon” and received a superior.

In the humorous category, Salma Serr, Ravyn Oliver and Dillyn Harson all competed to move on to districts. Ravyn Oliver performed “The Audition” and placed third with an excellent. Dillyn Harsin performed “Fangs of Endearment” and placed second with a superior. Moving on to districts, Salma Serr performed “The Fart that (almost) Altered My Destiny” and placed first with a superior.

Rhoss Oliver, Summer Janis, and Kodi Timanus all performed in the poetry category. Placing third, Rhoss Oliver performed “The Detective” and received an excellent. Placing second, Summer Janis performed “Bitter Creek Junction” and received an excellent. Placing first, Kodi Timanus performed Christmas poetry and received a superior.

There were 11 duets in the duets category, and all of them received a superior. Winning this category and moving on to districts was Klein and Spann with their piece “The Marriage Counselor.” Serr and Tommy Determan placed second with their piece “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened.” The rest of the duets were Maytaya Peck and Harson, K. Timanus and Khuu, Janis and Sierra Rencountre, Abby Eliason and Mattie Stevicks, Dargatz and Brooklynn Kenzy, Emma Thomas and G. Kenzy, Eli Fogel and Jaden Graber, Ashtyn Walder and Luke Sinclair, and Lana Talsma and Katherine Stevicks.

Readers theatre performed “The Book of Awesome” and received a superior. Jaslee Kerner, Grant Thomas, BriLee Peck, Serr, Determan, and Oliver were contestants in the readers theatre piece.

“I was ecstatic with the amount of students out this year! Unfortunately, I can only take one piece in each category. There were many fabulous performances, and I hope the underclassmen continue to compete in the upcoming years,” said Coach Ronda Graber.

Districts is on Nov. 4 in Chamberlain at Cedar Shore Resort starting at 9 a.m. Regions in on Nov.18 in Pierre at the Ramkota Hotel, and the State Festival is in Yankton at Yankton High School on Dec. 6 and 7.