Junior High to Perform Virgil Goes to Hollywood

Brynn Hylla, Journalist

The Gregory junior high students will be performing the play Virgil Goes to Hollywood at the Dixon Town Hall Theatre on Thursday and Friday nights, April 4 and 5, starting at 7:30 p.m. They will also be performing a matinee at 1 p.m. on Thursday for the middle school and upper elementary classes. Doors will open at 7 p.m. each evening and tickets will be available at the door. The price will be $5 for adults and $3 for students.
Virgil (Kade Stukel) has never really been successful in life, yet he has always dreamed of doing something important. After finding a play he wrote when he was little growing up in Lickskillit, Virgil decides to send it off to Hollywood, California, to see if anyone is interested in producing his “masterpiece.” Sure enough, he almost faints when he gets a call from Sophia Tishwater (Ashtyn Waldner) from Hollywood asking him to bring the play to them. HOLLYWOOD!
The folks in Lickskillit, along with his wife Margaret (Shelby Spann), celebrate Virgil’s unexpected success. His ship has finally come in and he, at last, can hold his head high. But when Virgil finds out WHICH Hollywood calls, his excitement dies quickly. But how can he break the news without total humiliation? Throw in his best friend Ellard (Jaden Graber) who still hasn’t married his fiancé (Kaydence Klein) of fifteen years, a deputy (Luke Sinclair) who thinks he is Barney Fife, an ex-girlfriend (Savannah Swan) from Virgil’s past who is out to rekindle the old flame, and you have a hilarious and fun play that is as southern as sweet tea and cornbread!