Small Group Band Takes Home Nine Medals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Small Group Band Takes Home Nine Medals

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

On Wed. Feb. 20, sixteen members of the Gregory High School band traveled to Chamberlain for the annual small group contest. This year, Gregory brought five group performances and nine solos. Of the fourteen performances, nine of them received a score of “Superior”. All of the other performances received an “Excellent.”

Salma Serr (piano), Dilllyn Harsin (French horn), Christian Spann (piano), Samantha Timanus (piano and trombone), and Keeley Klein (alto sax) all received “Superior” on their solos.

The trumpet trio (Daniel Ziady, Coy Determan, and Gracie Kenzy) received a superior as well as the flute duet (Christian Spann and Hayley Wenger). The large percussion group earned the ninth superior. Its members were Aaron Sundquist, Salma Serr, Coy Determan, Samantha Timanus, Keeley Klein, Haley Wenger, Megan Warnke, BriLee Peck, Jaslee Kerner, Tommy Determan, Brooklyn VanDerWerff, and Grant Thomas.

The flute ensemble (Christian Spann, Brilee Peck, Haley Wenger), Christian Spann’s flute solo, Coy Determan’s piano solo, Dillyn Harsin’s alto sax solo, and the brass quintet (Samantha Timanus, Grant Thomas, Anna Dargatz, Dillyn Harsin, and Daniel Ziady) all received a rating of “Excellent.” The clarinet choir as well as Shelby Zimmerman and Megan Warnke’s saxophone duet were not able to perform.

“We had a great day in Chamberlain. The students did very well in their events and brought home some medals for their efforts. Several of the student will be showcasing their music at the Dinner and a Show fundraising event that will be at the auditorium on March 25th. Make sure to watch the paper for more information in the next few weeks! It is sure to be a fun and eventful evening full of food and music,” Director Jared Opp said.