Local Schools Make Music Together

Back to Article
Back to Article

Local Schools Make Music Together

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

Yesterday, the Region IV Festival was held in the Gregory Memorial Auditorium. Thirteen schools met at 8:15 a.m. to begin rehearsal. The band practiced in the auditorium and the choir practiced in the Lutheran Church, and they performed their concert at 6:30 p.m.

Students from Gregory, Platte-Geddes, Corsica-Stickney, Wagner, Plankington, Colome, Armour, Winner, Burke, White Lake, Kimball, and Andes Central were asked if they would like to participate. . Eighty-seven students volunteered to play band and 107 students chose to sing choir.

Dr. Kevin Kessler, Instructor of Music and Director of Athletic Bands at SDSU, conducted the band, and Dr. Laura Diddle, Director of Choral Activities at SDSU, conducted the choir. Accompanying the choir on the piano was Katie DeNeui from Platte.

At the beginning of the choir portion of the concert, Sadie Rassmussen, Delaney Miller, and Matthew Brink from Platte as well as Christian Spann from Gregory sang in a quartet a capella. The choir continued to sing five songs after that. The band was arranged to perfrom five songs, but only played 4 because they were short on rehearsal time.

The Grades 6-12 Holiday Concert will be Monday, Dec. 3 at 7 p.m., and the Elementary Holiday Concert is Dec. 17 at 7 p.m.