Oral interp. team has successful districts and competes at tournament in Pierre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Toshiya Cramer, Journalist

On Nov. 5, Gregory’s oral interp. team went to Chamberlain for its district contest. Three of the readings placed first, and a total of six readings moved on to regions. Gregory also was the top school of the day bringing home the team trophy.

Districts started at 9 a.m. with poetry. Rhoss Oliver competed with “The Highwayman” and placed second. Storytelling followed with Christian Spann winning first with the reading “The Legend of Lightning Larry.” Second to perform in reader’s theatre, Isaac Barreto, Tommy Determan, Grant Thomas, Salma Serr, Megan Warnke, and BriLee Peck placed first with “Channel Changers.” Jaslee Kerner competed in oratory and placed second with “The Love of Learning.” After lunch, Isaac Barreto placed third with “Not Ready!” In humorous, Keeley Klein competed in serious readings with “Music Lessons” and placed first. The last category of the day was duets, in which Serr and Barreto did “I Wanna be a Cowboy” and placed fourth, not scoring high enough to compete at regions.

On Nov. 3, six contestants from Gregory went to Pierre for a competition. It took place at Riggs High School. The novice contestants had to do their readings three times which decided their final placement. Varsity competitors also had three rounds, but had a final round for top placers. Dillyn Harsin placed fourth in humorous and sixth in duo with Mataya Peck. Klein placed 12 out of 21 in serious readings, Spann placed first in storytelling, Barreto placed 13 out of 18 in humorous, and seventh out of 19 with Serr in duets. At this tournament, Gregory students competed against A and AA schools, not just B.

“I wasn’t surprised that we did so well at districts because we have been putting in so much practice time. We won the trophy last year also, so we had to defend our title. Students at regions will see a higher level of competition. It is always difficult to move on to state, but I do think it is possible for a few to move on. Last year we only had one student make it to state. I’m hoping more Gregory students this year will have an opportunity to compete at the state festival,” Coach Ronda Graber said.

Regions will take place on Nov. 19 in Pierre. The top two to three competitors in each category in regions moves on to the state festival in Watertown on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

Toshiya Cramer, Journalist

Hello, my name is Toshiya Cramer; I am 16 years old. I am a foreign exchange student from The Netherlands, also known as Holland. I am a senior at Gregory...

• Oral interp. team has successful districts and competes at tournament in Pierre

News

Readers Theatre Brings Home A Superior

Classroom Happenings

Excited first graders aspire to learn

Athletics

B/G Storm Beat KWLPG and Parkston In Platte

Student Life

Eight Students Qualify For State Oral Interp. Festival

Student Life

Local Schools Make Music Together

Elementary Happenings

Six Graders Put Fun Into Fun Friday

Classroom Happenings

What are the Fifth Graders Up To?

News

Gregory High School Honors Veterans

Student Life

All State Choir and Orchestra to Perform On Saturday

Student Life

Gregory’s Top Students are Competing in the Q107.3 Radio Quiz Bowl