Homecoming arrives Monday

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming arrives Monday

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

The Gregory homecoming season has arrived, and the school is busy preparing for a fun week. Homecoming week begins on Monday. Every year, a homecoming king and queen are voted for by the students at Gregory High School. This year there are six female candidates: Ashley Eagle Star, Kaelee Haney, Addy Nelson, Megan Warnke, Shannon Weller, and Shelby Zimmerman. Likewise, there are six male candidates: Isaac Barreto, Jeremiah Beck, Tyler Murray, Garret Roeder, Matthew Sinclair, and Caleb Stukel. The first-grade crown bearers are Gabe Ekroth and Sophia Stevicks. The junior class president, Jaslee Kerner, will be announcing the royalty winners during coronation on Monday at the Gregory Auditorium at 7:30 p.m.

The annual Gregory Homecoming Parade will be held on Friday at 1:00 p.m. The theme of the parade is “Celebrating the Decades”; every class has picked a particular decade for its float. The judges Raeann Opp, Kim Veskerna, and Eric Hamilton will pick a winner from the high school, middle school, and elementary.  The parade marshal is Rhonda Waterbury, who retired last year from Gregory Junior High School after teaching at Gregory for 22 years.

There are many high school sports events during homecoming week. The Gorilla Football Team will play its homecoming game on Friday against Platte/Geddes High at 7:00 p.m. The Gorillas have won four out of four games and are ranked number one in the state. The Panthers, on the other hand, have won one out of four games and are ranked 38th in the state.

The Gregory Spikers Volleyball Team will be playing against White River in White River at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday and will be playing an away game against Chamberlain at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday. There will also be a cross country meet on Thursday in Burke starting at 4:15 p.m.

Every day of the homecoming week, there is a different theme. The students are encouraged to dress-up as to increase school spirit. The dress-up categories this year go as followed: Monday- Movie Character Day, Tuesday- Spirit Day, Wednesday- Squad Day, Thursday- Vacation Day, and Friday- Class Color Day.

Usually, the students eat lunch in order of class, oldest to youngest; but during homecoming week, you have to earn your spot in the lunch line. All of the high school classes, senior, junior, sophomore, and freshman, nominate members of their class to compete in the daily ‘Lunch Games.’

On Monday, the game is Solo Cup Shuffle, where participants attempt to move a blue cup to the top of a stack of red cups by moving a red cup from the top to the bottom one by one.

The Tuesday lunch game is Cookie Monster, where a cookie is placed on the forehead of the participants, and they must try to move it into their mouth without using their hands.

The next game on Wednesday is called the Hula-Hoop Game. In this game, two teens jump across a line of hula-hoops on the ground towards each other until they reach each other, where they then play rock-paper-scissors. Whoever wins rock-paper-scissors, moves along through the hula hoops until he/she meet his/her next opponent. The loser of the rock-paper-scissors is out, and one of the other classmates starts to jump across the hula-hoops to confront the winner.

The final game on Thursday is simply tug-of war. There is no lunch game on Friday.

There will also be a homecoming dance for all high school students on Friday, from 9 – 12 p.m. The middle school homecoming dance is on Thursday from 7 – 10 p.m.

Samantha Timanus, Journalist

Hello, my name is Samantha Timanus, and I am a 16-year-old sophomore at Gregory High School. My parents are Anthony and Karen Timanus. I have four younger...

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Excited first graders aspire to learn

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Adventures of fourth grade

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

What are the Fifth Graders Up To?

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Athletics

Spikers Dominate against Corsica-Stickney

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Want to Be Kist on Valentine’s Day

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Bartling makes her appearance in Gregory School

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Begeman returns to GHS

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Throwback Thursday!

• Homecoming arrives Monday

Classroom Happenings

Thirty-two to Graduate

• Classroom Happenings

Elementary Track and Field Day

Homecoming arrives Monday